Friday, November 9, 2012

You learn something every day...

So, Tuesday I brought our Power of Attorney and Dossier Affidavit letters to the Secy. of Commissions office in Boston to obtain state seals. I stood in line for a few minutes and then when it was my turn I pulled my 2 docs out and laid them on the counter. The office worker looked them over for a few seconds and then said, "I can not notarize these. They are done incorrectly." I wanted to freak out but I actually kept my %*&^ together during those few minutes. I had 2 options: I could go back home and get them re-notarized. If I chose this option, I would have to use a personal day as they are only open M-F. Plus, I was already in the city and it had taken me 1.5 hours on the train (stupid train schedule) plus walking time to get to this place. He said my other option would be to walk a few blocks over to the Bank of America to get certified copies of the documents and have them re-notarized. I am still not sure exactly how that makes them any more "official." I just know that if I came back with the re-notarized docs he would give the great big gold seal. After calling my agency, I opted to go with option two. They said that it should be fine and I figured I had nothing to lose. So, after an hour of waiting at the bank I was able to get the docs "fixed" and then later sealed. The moral of the story if for those of you live in the state of MA...please follow the notary wording on the Secy. of Commissions website (http://www.sec.state.ma.us/pre/precom/comidx.htm). I had followed our agency's template exactly but the state did not care. I am not sure if the have become more strict with this, as our agency said they have never has this happen before and they have had other clients from MA. Anyway, that task has been completed and now we are working on our letter to the Assistant Stork, the courier service that will be bringing our dossier to the State Department and Ethiopian Embassy in D.C. for authentication, grommeting, and bundling.

No comments:

Post a Comment